Kim's Austrian Adventure

My year as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar in Graz, Austria. Yes, there are other cities in Austria besides Vienna.

25. Mai 2006

What a lovely day to have a slice of humble pie

(Actual date 02.März.06)


  • Reading: Uwe Timm: Heißer Sommer (Hot Summer)

  • Listening to: Dane Cook: Retaliation: At the Wall

  • German Word of the Day: sich verlaufen

  • Translation: to get lost

  • Example: Ich habe mich verlaufen./I got lost.


Just when I thought it was safe to go outside, I tried to go to the Meldeamt. Ha. I should have known how today would end up, because I fell on the way there. I wasn’t even wearing heels! Luckily there weren’t too many people around. A nice old man came over to help me up and ask me if I was ok, to which I answered yes, only my ego was bruised. When I got home I realized that my knee and palms were skinned and my ankle was swollen, but at least my pants were still ok.

I went to the Ämtergebaeude, where every possible Amt – except, of course, for the Meldeamt – is located. After working up the nerve to ask a stranger where it was located, I consulted my map and was off. And by off I mean I had no idea where I was. Eventually I found my way to Jakominiplatz, which is the main transportation point in the city. I asked again and found the building, went in and took (hideous) Passfotos, then turned in the form. I have to pick it up tomorrow. I still had time to make it to the Uni…but I couldn’t find it. Added to the fact that the office is only open from 9am-12pm means that I didn’t get to register today, even though I emailed the office and told them I would be there. Hence, I feel like a moron. I thought I would be able to get everything done and was disappointed when everything didn’t go according to plan. This means wake up time is 7:30 tomorrow, which should be enjoyable as I’m jet lagged and have been up until at least 2am for the past two nights.

I keep trying to remind myself that it’s only my second day in this country and that one is allowed to make mistakes, especially as an exchange student. However, there is the desire to prove my ability and do everything right, which includes being places when I say I’ll be there.

There’s always tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to find the university...