Kim's Austrian Adventure

My year as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar in Graz, Austria. Yes, there are other cities in Austria besides Vienna.

29. September 2006

No, I'm not staying at any hostels...


  • Reading: Travel Itinerary

  • Listening to: Cansei De Ser Sexy: Off the Hook

  • German Word of the Day: die Pensionistin

  • Translation: female retirees

  • Example: Heute haben drei Pensionistin mich freiwillig angesprochen./Today three retirees randomly talked to me.



Apparently it's "Retirees talk to Kim" Friday, because while waiting for the bus/tram three seperate times, random Pensionistin talked to me. I had a conversation with the one I understood (even within the states of Austria, the accents can greatly vary). She was wearing the most awesome purple sunglasses, sassy shoes, and lipstick, and she thought I was Scandinavian. This confused me, as I am not tall, thin or blonde. Usually people assume I'm Dutch or Belgian (Belgian? Honestly?). It may sound bad, but as long as they don't assume I'm American, I'm happy.

In other news, I am heading to Vienna/Prague/Budapest with Powen, a friend of mine from my first exchange year, on Sunday. It's been a while since I've been in a country where I don't speak the language. Should be interesting. Also, I hear Budapest has some fantastic shopping opportunities...

Fantastic photos to follow. Luckily, Powen is just as camera-happy as I am.

Prague


Budapest

2 Comments:

At 30 September, 2006 11:07, Anonymous Anonym said...

NEED i say how jealous i am of your being in prague?

 
At 06 Oktober, 2006 11:07, Anonymous Anonym said...

The pic of Prague is absolutely georgous. When are you getting your reg. e-mail acct bac?
Aunt Susie

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home