Kim's Austrian Adventure

My year as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar in Graz, Austria. Yes, there are other cities in Austria besides Vienna.

30. Oktober 2006

Confusing the Austrians, part 8 billion


  • Reading: Roman Sandgruber: Das 20.Jahrhundert - Geschichte Österreichs (History of Austria in the 20th century)

  • Listening to: Of Montreal: She's a Rejector

  • German Word of the Day: Tixo

  • Translation: Tape (Austrian German)

  • Example: Reichst Du mir bitte das Tixo?/Please pass me the tape. (Only in Austria.)






I generally try to avoid my American tendencies while over here, but my love for Halloween shines through. Chrissi and I carved our pumpkins yesterday and it took no less than three hours. I think they look fantastic. T minus 21 hours and counting until the Austrians learn how to celebrate properly. Chrissi is so excited that you would think it's Christmas.