Kim's Austrian Adventure

My year as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar in Graz, Austria. Yes, there are other cities in Austria besides Vienna.

25. November 2006

Turkey for me, turkey for you...unless you're a vegetarian


  • Reading: Roman Sandgruber: Das 20. Jahrhundert

  • Listening to: Elysian Fields: Bleed Your Cedar: Star

  • German Word of the Day: die Lebensmittelvergiftung

  • Translation: food poisoning

  • Example: Hoffentlich werde ich die Mädels nicht vergiften./Hopefully I won't poison the girls.





It was 1pm. I took the turkey out of the fridge and promptly freaked out, placing a call to my mother.

"It will be fine, Kim." She hadn't even said hello. Mother's intuition or something.

"But it's so... gross. Like, it's... I have to reach inside, don't I?"

"Yes, but I promise it's not so bad. You can do it, Kim."

"But what if it's not done? Food poisoning, mom!"

She talked me down and I tried to stare down the turkey, but to no avail. Eventually I threw it in the sink and rinsed it for a good fifteen minutes.

Other items on the menu: macaroni and cheese (for the vegetarians), stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy (Julia tried to talk me out of the potatoes, but Christina, the other American, backed me up. I ask you, can Thanksgiving sans mashed potatoes even exist?), pumpkin roll (which I've been "testing" since it was finished) and Christina's chocolate-pumpkin cake. I keep trying to stress that this is NOTHING compared to the usual fare. We are, however, in Austria, so I suppose I'm luckily I'm even celebrating Thanksgiving at all.

I'm thankful for, among other things, my Gösser Bier. (But I wish I had some Murauer!)



2 Comments:

At 27 November, 2006 10:37, Anonymous Anonym said...

In my opinion, Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes cannot exist. It's like, a rule.

How did the turkey turn out?

 
At 29 November, 2006 10:04, Anonymous Anonym said...

While I agree about the mashed potatoes comment, I am actually contacting you for another reason. I no longer have your contact information, and I wanted to make sure that you are still doing alright over there. Feel free to contact me if you have any issues, I am not sure when the last time you chatted with a Rotarian. Just wanna make sure your not left floating in the wind.

Marco Cabrera
Belleville Rotary
marco@virtualcreations.biz

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home